Tuesday, January 1, 2013

sawatdee be mai

SAWATDEE BE MAI! (Happy New Year!) The year 2012 really set the bar high for the rest of my years to come. I've never had a year that I was happy to see go, but I've always welcomed the next and willed it to be better. 2013 has a lot of work to do.

Here's what's been happening in my neck of the jungle...

 English teachers in our "Santies" the Friday before Christmas during our morning assembly
 elf and reindeer
all my happy kiddos

When the holidays rolled around here in Thailand, I knew challenges would arise. I've done the whole solo Thanksgiving before, and having so much to be thankful for almost completely stifled the longing to be home with my family (not that I didn't think about you guys all day!). I was hoping to get at least Christmas day off, but when I made my request, I was denied with a simple shrug, wince, and an "Ummmmm...I don't think so." At first, I was upset. Not so much that I couldn't have Christmas off (I had already prepared myself for this before I came to Buddhist country), but that my religious holiday couldn't be acknowledged even a little when we've had at least 8 Buddhist holidays so far this school year. You guys can't slide me one little teensy itsy bitsy day? No? Nothing?

I found out later the reason I wasn't able to be granted a holiday: Several prathom (elementary) students and teachers were traveling to Chiang Mai for sports competitions. It just so happened that every teacher from my office was going except me. That's cool. I didn't want to go to Chiang Mai anyway. Oh, and also I was expected to teach all of the English classes for the 3 days they were gone. Why sure, I'd love to have the workload of 5 teachers combined on the week of Christmas!

I arrived to school on Christmas Eve morning, having dragged my feet the whole way there. I was in no mood to be dealing with children by myself (don't get me wrong, I love these children whole-heartedly. But when you have 55 students-yes, that many in every single classroom-from ages 5 to 11 yelling questions in a seemingly impossible language and treating you like a human jungle gym, it takes a bit to psych yourself up to face the day). For some reason, it was eerily quiet as I turned the corner into the main assembly area. By that time, I would already have been ambushed by the masses and screams of "TEACHA COW-SEE!" But alas, all was quiet. As I continued on to sign in, I saw my mathayom (high school) students playing soccer in the courtyard, but not a single prathom student was in sight. A few minutes later I was informed that the prathom grades had no school for the next 3 days, and all I was responsible for were the mathayoms. This is a perfect example of Thai life for a foreign teacher. I NEVER KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON. Ever. Sometimes this works out in my favor, sometimes it doesn't. Thankfully this time was the former!

I still had to work on Christmas Eve and Day, but I got to spend some quality time with my older students who sometimes get the shaft because I'm busy giving piggy-back rides 4 students at a time. My Crow Mother sent me a box full of Christmas things for the kids, and since I teach over 1,500 students, there wouldn't have been enough candy canes for everyone. BUT there were enough for every single one of the mathayom students, and I was so loved that day.

My gratefulness for Skype will be never-ending. I was able to talk with my family on their Christmas Eve and Day, and it almost almost felt like I was there. Meredith's sweet grandmother sent us a box full of wrapped gifts and a little tree back in November, and we were able to open the gifts while listening to Christmas carols and watching the fire crackle (compliments of the really neat DVD that Crow Mom sent which simulates a cozy fireplace). Plus, I had just gotten packages from both Big Lynn and my bestie Ashley Bass, both of which contents were so perfectly "me" you'd think I'd hand selected each item myself. I'm not ashamed to say I jumped up and down like a child. That afternoon, we joined our other farang friends for a very festive celebration. On Christmas night, our favorite Thai, Off, took us out to eat and around town. We stumbled upon a Christmas tree of lights, and everyone was gathered around taking pictures. We parked and began to do the same, and since I was in my super festive "Santy" (as my teachers call it) outfit, we stayed for the next hour having my photo taken with what seemed like every little boy and girl in town. I was elated.

 visiting our friends in the local shops
can you believe this little angel? his name is Archie!

Thankfully, we were rewarded with two days off for New Year's Eve and Day. We caught the next bus to Chiang Mai, our go-to town for long weekends. We frequented The Olive Tree, the tastiest Greek restaurant in Thailand (because I crave variety the most living here), Starbucks, and I even got an egg and cheese bagel for breakfast one morning. CHEESE! It's always the little things.

 a coffee shop we found near home

As for our New Year's Eve celebration, there's nowhere I'd rather have been. We met up with some of our Thai friends and proceeded to dance the night away. It was wonderful to be around a few people we love and tons we'd never met but love anyway. My favorite moments were counting down to the new year in Thai, and also watching thousands of lanterns being released in the sky. It's those moments that I stop and smile to myself. We live in a beautiful world!

before we went out dancing under the lantern-lit sky. neither one of us wanted to be responsible for the camera, so this is the only photo taken on nye.

I hope that you all made peace with 2012, and were able to welcome 2013 with open arms. Today I'll be teaching my students about new year's resolutions, however I don't plan on making any of my own. For now, I'm just focused on soaking up every possible thing Thailand has to offer me because guess what? I'll be home soon! Only a few short months to go. I can't wait to see you lovelies!

1 comment:

  1. For some reason I couldn't find the link to this awesome blog on your Facebook. You need to check on that ;) Great entry, buddy.

    ReplyDelete