Tuesday, July 10, 2012

the old "neung-sawng"

Let me attempt to paint a picture for you. Hop on the motorbike with me (a little Vespa type, if you will---and yes, we finally got one and moved up on the road chain!). We'll weave in and out of traffic, forgetting all the rules you've ever learned and only looking out for yourself (because that's the Thai way). We'll jet across Uttaradit (way faster than we did on that stinkin' bicycle) with ease, passing tons of vendors selling Som Tam (my favorite Thai meal), durian (the most disgusting fruit on the planet), sticky rice, meat on a stick, iced coffee, sodas poured in bags instead of cups, among hundreds of other options. We'll pass the Tesco Lotus (which is the equivalent to Walmart) and head a little out of town. Just past a beautiful golden temple, we'll turn down a hidden dirt road, often muddy due to rainy season. We'll get a little deeper in the jungle before we finally make it to our destination, which is the real treat. Are you still with me?

Imagine turning into a little residence just off the dirt road, and parking the motorbike among the dogs and chickens that are wandering in the puddles or vegetation around the muddy "driveway." To the right, there's an open air house that's on stilts. Underneath the house, next to the kitchen area, there's an old TV set up with a few people around it watching boxing, which is what we're here to learn. To the left is where that will happen: a worn boxing ring with a roof over it, surrounded by 3 or 4 punching bags having the stuffing all but beaten out of them by the boxers in training. Welcome to my new gym!
I was excited about coming to Thailand for a thousand reasons, but training in Muy Thai was one of the highest on the list. As soon as we got settled here in our new town, I asked around about who could train me and was greeted with a lot of awkward looks that I didn't expect seeing as how this is the national sport of Thailand. Finally, I was introduced to my wonderful friend, Pond, who has a history with Muy Thai. Not only has she trained, but it's also how she met her fiance who just happens to be a professional Thai boxer in Bangkok. She took us to meet our trainer last week, and once I set eyes on the whole place, people, and all around experience, it was love at first sight.
I'm a lover of a challenge. To travel is challenging. To make things like this happen is a challenge. But also small personal challenges, like running which I started seriously in late 2009, get me excited. My last race was my ultra-marathon back in 2011, and having run it on injured knees, it was kind of a funeral for them. I've been avoiding racing and serious running since because I can physically feel the pain that it caused every time I think about that race. I know my running days aren't over because I'm not willing to let them go, but I want to push my body to the next limit with boxing. It's something in which I've always been interested and said I'd do, but I've never taken the time to get serious with it. I promised myself not to pass the opportunity up now that I'm in the prime country for it.
I've dabbled in boxing before. My mom did her share of boxing as I was growing up, and I even taught a cardio-kickboxing class in college, but I've never had formal training. One of my best friends, Zach,  has a few black belts (no big deal, right?), so for a couple of months before I left we had some training and sparring sessions to get me ready. And thank goodness for them! I'm not in any kind of shape to be good yet, but Zach was able put details about form into words, which is something I can't get from my new trainer because he doesn't speak English.
So more about my new trainer and gym...but you'll have to use your imagination for a bit longer.
The trainer is probably my dad's age (so 30, right Daddy?), and made of 100% muscle (just like my dad, too ;), but not the bulky body builder type. This guy is just plain brick wall material. And get this: he's kind of famous. He's a retired professional boxer who was (and still is) known around the country. Pretty awesome that he, a man who talks, sleeps, eats, and breathes Thai boxing, is taking the time to instruct two Americans who have no real prior knowledge of the sport. He knows 5 English words: kick, block (which he pronounces "bok"), one, two, and good. Between that and watching the few other guys that train with us at the "gym," it's really all we need. He's as sweet as he can be, but what's best is that he pushes me harder than I've ever experienced, and it's exactly what I was hoping for. I wanted someone who makes me keep going when I can't, and holy canoli, he does that. Once we're done with the hour and a half session in the ring full of my trainer giving commands and what seems like millions of repetitions of "the old one-two"(or "the old neung-sawng" as we now call it in Thai), he motions to the floor which means it's time for the required number of sit ups and push ups. After that, there's bag work that consists of hundreds of reps to attempt to perfect knees, kicks, and punches. I've run 26 miles at a time and not been as tired as I am after a 2 hour boxing session. It takes every muscle and ounce of concentration. Sweating is to be expected any time in Thailand, but add being outside and boxing, and I can literally ring sweat out of my t-shirt once I'm finished (and then wash it off on the ab racks of the guys that train with us)!


This is actually one of my driest nights!
The guys at the gym are so patient. Our trainer is hilarious, too. When we work on front kicks to the stomach, he always falls backwards to humor me even though I know if I kicked him with all the force I could muster up straight in the abs, he wouldn't budge an inch. And the guys who train with us (who fight competitively and are on their way to being professional status) are so much fun to watch and learn from. At first it was awkward because no one speaks English, and my Thai as of now is a joke unless we're in a restaurant (see what I mean about the eating!?), but now it's just a good time when they show us different moves or let us spar with them (which is my favorite part :). It also helps that they're wildly attractive. They guys share about 1% body fat among them. 
Boxing now consumes the majority of my thoughts. When I wake up in the morning, I'm excited because I get to spend all day with my kiddos, and then after that head straight to the ring. Plus the more I fight, the more I'm able to eat afterwards. How sweet of a deal is that? I got to see my first live Thai boxing matches this past weekend. It's like the whole town gets together for these things. They set up as if the fair is coming to town; there are vendors selling food, drinks, and toys. Everyone hangs out until the fights start. They let us sit in the V.I.P. section, and made us feel as if we were almost as important as the main event! The evening started with the smaller boys, probably around age 12. Later in the night, the fights made their way up to grown men. Each of the fights were equally entertaining, and we even saw a couple of guys get knocked out. Everything is so alive; the crowd goes crazy, the boxers are animated, and there are guys placing and running bets for each round. I can't get enough of the atmosphere, and I can't help but get invested in the fighters more and more each match. I don't know if I'd ever be able to have a real go at it; for now, training is exciting enough for me. We shall see...All I'm sure of is if there's one thing that feels better than being in the ring, it's hopping on the motorbike to ride home, feeling a sense of accomplishment the whole way. 


After my first night. Go big or go home!

Things I've learned in Thailand so far:
33. Ask for Som Tam "nid noi phet," which means to Thais "just a little bit spicy" which means to us "tolerable only if consumed with a gallon of water."
34. Speaking of Som Tam, pronunciation is key. If you say Som Tom, or Sam Tam, no one will have even the slightest clue what you're talking about. If your pronunciation is even the slightest bit off, you are out of luck.
35. Leave food out anywhere for longer than 5 minutes? Come back expecting a side of ants.
36. All fruits have their own season. This is not the issue. The issue is that when they're not in season, they pickle them. Don't ask for mango in the off season. You will get pickled mango. And you will not like it. 
37. In boxing, when kicking and/or punching, the boxers yell a word as they exert the most force. The reason for this is the release of bad spirits. I am still trying to come up with the perfect demon releasing word. 
38. I've found chocolate milk (in a little juice box looking container) to be one of the most refreshing treats. 
39. Our Thai friend No (yes, that's her name), the sweet lady we met who graduated from Mercer University with her undergrad and the University of Alabama with her Masters, made us an entire notebook full of helpful ways to learn Thai. The epitome of kindness!
40. Dessert most nights is a fresh fruit smoothie made from any fruit of my choice. All organic ingredients, and all naturally sweetened. Dragon fruit is my favorite so far. Tonight I'm trying carrot! Hey, when in Thailand...



1 comment:

  1. What an awesome experience you are having! I am jealous, but still I'm excited that you are having the time of your life!

    Love ya,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete